Managing Director, Supporting Strategies
John is principal and Managing Director of 5 Supporting Strategies franchises; Boston’s North Shore, MetroWest, Central Massachusetts, West Houston, Texas and Montgomery County, MD. Supporting Strategies is a national bookkeeping firm which provides bookkeeping and staff accounting support for small businesses in all industries up to 20M in annual revenues.
The Supporting Strategies Value Proposition is easy to articulate. Supporting Strategies S meets the bookkeeping and operational support needs of growing business based on two key differentiators:
- How we deliver our services. As our services are delivered remotely using cloud-based technology, our clients get the services they need when they need them.
- Who we hire. We attract highly experienced accounting professionals to provide these services as we offer the ability to work from home on a flexible schedule. On average, our team of Managers and Associates bring to us 10+ years of direct accounting experience, plus an educational background in accounting or related field.
These differentiators provide our clients with the following benefits:
- No minimum billing. We only bill clients for time when we are working on their tasks. The traditional onsite resource bills for all of the time they are sitting in the client’s office, regardless if they are completing tasks, or socializing by the water cooler! While we bill only for the time spent, and there are no fixed minimums, we will work with you to develop a budget, and we will manage to that budget.
- Highly Automated Processes. In order to work efficiently in a virtual environment, we are guided by a set of systematized business processes in performing our services.
- Fully Outsourced Accounting Department. As we hire experienced accounting professionals, we are able to offer bookkeeper through controller services to our clients. Through a network of consulting CFO’s, we can also recommend outsourced CFO resources to our clients as needed to round out their accounting team.
- Team Based Approach. Not only does the client get a team of both a Manager and Associate to ensure that their needs are met in a timely manner, we also offer Help Desk coverage as an additional resource should they need to reach somebody right away and their assigned Supporting Strategies team is not online. Having the Financial Operations Manager in place also ensures for quality control throughout the accounting support process.
John co-founded and bootstrapped Bay State Press, a 14 million- dollar Boston area commercial printing firm serving the mutual fund, software & biotech industries and served as CFO and Treasurer. After selling Bay State Press to a private equity group in 1998, John served as an intermediary and then as Senior Vice President with a national investment banking firm specializing in manufacturing co’s with 5-30M in sales and founded Gleason Consulting in 2003 to assist small businesses with financial, operational and growth issues.
Outside of work, John enjoys travel, reading, motorcycling and fitness training. He studied Economics at UMass.